Midnight Kitchen Call for Applications: Summer Stipend
Deadline: Noon on Monday, June 5, 2017
Midnight Kitchen was born out of a desire to make affordable and nutritious food accessible to as many people as possible outside of the mainstream capitalist food system. We see many problems with the production and distribution of food and seek to provide education about food justice as well as work directly to help feed our communities. Our founders recognized the capacity of food to become a powerful organizing and community-building project.
To that end, Midnight Kitchen serves pay-what-you-can nut-free vegan meals Monday through Thursday in addition to providing solidarity servings throughout Montreal for groups who share our political goals, running a summer food bank and garden and hosting a wide variety of educational events.
Midnight Kitchen’s summer stipend is intended to provide an individual or group with a budget/honoraria to work over the summer (June-August), doing a project related to food justice. There is currently one stipend available for $2000.
Successful applicants must convince the selection committee that:
We will prioritize applicants who show that:
- Their project is local in scope and fits into a grassroots model;
- The applicant(s) has appropriate experience and background to undertake the project, and can reasonably be expected to finish the project within the allotted time frame (June-August);
- Their project can be used as popular education by the MK Collective in the future.
- Their project will have long-term impact and/or is related to a pressing political issue(s)
Responsibilities of stipend recipients:
- Complete the project as outlined in your initial application, with major changes to the project to be approved by the MK Collective;
- Provide a progress report to and/or meet with a staff supervisor or the collective every two weeks;
- Produce a final written project and budget report of the project giving a summary of the work that was done;
- Provide Midnight Kitchen with final results of the summer project;
- Acknowledge Midnight Kitchen’s contribution to the project on all publicity material.
Work can be done in our office or remotely. We operate out of the SSMU building at McGill (3480 Rue McTavish). The building is technically wheelchair accessible, but the ongoing nearby construction severely limits access in practice. We can make arrangement for meetings to be in an alternative location, if you cannot easily access our building.
The application should include:
- A letter of introduction that outlines the objectives of the project, the needs it addresses, and how it fulfills the above criteria. (MAX: 2 Pages)
- A CV of the main coordinators, or group, including the contact information of two references
- A timeline of your project with clear, concrete goals for each two week period and a breakdown of how you plan to use your hours
- A budget of estimated expenses for the project (i.e. long distance calls, material purchases, travel, printing, etc.). Your budget is meant to cover both project expenses and a honorarium for the researchers. Applicants may use the entire amount of the stipend as a honorarium should they not foresee other ancillary costs.
We conduct hiring on the basis of employment equity. Employment equity is designed to compensate for the nonexistence of a level playing field with regards to people’s experiences and job qualifications, given the structural injustices that affect marginalized groups. These groups include but are not limited to: indigenous people, black people, people of color, women, queer / LGB+ people, trans people, disabled people, people living in poverty, and immigrants (especially those with precarious status).
If you wish to be considered for employment equity, include the following sentence in your cover letter: “I would like to be considered for employment equity.” Please note that we do not require applicants to specify the basis on which they are applying for employment equity; you do not need to disclose your reasons.
Please submit your application by June 5, 2017 at 12:00pm (noon):
Applications will be accepted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “STIPEND APPLICATION” in the subject line.